This morning I wrote to you about being given the authority to use more localized data to make determinations about what sort of model our schools will be operating under. We had found that data for the entire county often was skewed by the City of Akron and by numerous senior care facilities. As we have worked our way through the pandemic, we have learned a lot, and realized there was a better way to make decisions than simply following the color coding of Summit County.
In consultation with Summit County Public Health, and upon review of various data points, the Nordonia Schools will operate under the following models starting Monday, October 26, continuing until change is necessary.
- Northfield, Rushwood, Ledgeview and Lee Eaton students will attend school five days per week. The continued high attendance levels of students and staff, the Low and Very Low density levels of COVID-19 cases in the 44056 and 44067 ZIP codes, and the absence of any positive COVID-19 cases among staff and students were among the data points that impacted this decision most.
- Nordonia Middle School students will be on complete remote learning through Tuesday, November 3. Students will return to school on Wednesday, November 4 on the hybrid plan. Six middle school students testing positive, causing the quarantining of more than 90 students and four teachers, have made operating the building over the next two weeks tenuous at best. Middle school teachers will provide remote instruction for all Option 1 students during this time period.
- Nordonia High School students will continue to operate under a hybrid model. While the area has Low and Very Low density levels of COVID cases, the high school has seen student and staff absentee rates over 10% for some time, and three positive COVID cases have caused more than 30 students to be quarantined.
As I wrote this morning, these decisions were made based on the following principles:
- Physical safety and social/emotional health and wellness of students and staff are our top priorities
- Education for our students is best delivered in person by Nordonia teachers.
- Consistency is vital both for instruction and family dynamics.
Thanks for your continued support of the Nordonia Schools, and Go Knights!