Sheila Raia, Parent Mentor
Please connect with me anytime you have questions, concerns or just need to talk.
ABOUT THE PARENT MENTOR PROGRAM
A Parent Mentor is the parent of a child with a disability who assists school districts and families by providing training, support, and information services. The mission of the Ohio Parent Mentors is to provide the necessary support and resources to families of children with disabilities and the professionals who serve them. The Nordonia Parent Mentor program is funded through a grant from the Ohio Department of Education (ODE).
Some of the services provided by the Parent Mentor include:
- Guiding parents through the special education process including rights and responsibilities
- Listening and providing support to families and staff
- Providing information and resources
- Attending IEP meetings and other meetings when requested
- Conducting information sessions and workshops
The Parent Mentor project has established an extensive resource library for parents and staff. There are many books for children, teens, books on parenting and specific disabilities including LD and ADHD. Contact the parent mentor office to borrow books or videos.