The Nordonia Hills City School District will celebrate its second annual Unity Week on October 25-29, sponsored by the Nordonia Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council. This year’s theme is See Us ALL!
The week was selected purposefully before Election Day to remind the community that regardless of the outcome of the election, we should always treat each other with dignity and respect.
There is no place for racism, harassment, or discrimination in the Nordonia Hills City School District. We fully embrace the diversity of our workforce, community, and student body, and are committed to providing an environment that recognizes and respects the equality of all people. We are dedicated to meeting the educational, physical, social, and emotional needs of all students, so that they may enter the world as responsible, caring, and contributing members of society. Our goal is to enhance learning and remove barriers that inhibit students from reaching their highest potential.
The following activities are scheduled for Unity Week.
Monday, October 25: Unity Read
- Students in grades K-6 will read the book Together We Can. You can view a reading of the book here: https://youtu.be/fEKZE7pCNlc
- Students in grades 7-12 will watch a TED talk called The Danger of a Single Story, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. You can view the TED talk here: https://youtu.be/D9Ihs241zeg
Tuesday, October 26: Unity Pledge
- Students, employees, and community members will be given the opportunity to take a pledge to remain committed to the ideals of unity. The pledge form will be provided by building principals.
- Students who take the pledge will be given a Unity sticker suitable for Chromebooks.
- Grades K-6 Pledge
I PLEDGE to always tell an adult if I see others being treated unfairly.
I WILL be nice to everyone - even if they are not like me.
I BELIEVE that school should be safe and I will do my part to keep it safe, healthy and happy.
I BELIEVE that I am the change we need in this world!
Especially in times that seek to divide us, I pledge to see beyond "the single story" and to see everyone and their perspective. I acknowledge that we are each more than a single opinion, a single moment, or a single story.
- Staff/Parent/Community Member Pledge
I PLEDGE to stand up to all forms of injustices whether they come in the form of bullying or racism.
I WILL NOT sit silently in the face of injustice and intolerance.
I WILL do my best to be a change agent by treating everyone fairly and kindly - even those who are not like me.
I WILL NOT stand by while someone is being hurt or bullied. I know that it is my responsibility to immediately intercede to stop the misbehavior and report it to a supervisor.
I BELIEVE that school should be a safe zone and will do my part to keep it safe, healthy, and happy.
I BELIEVE that it will take each and every one of us to make a change. I am that change!
Wednesday, October 27: Unity Trees
- Each student and staff member will have the opportunity to add a leaf to a tree in their school. The students will be able to write on their leaf what unity means to them.
Thursday, October 28: Unity Rally
- All students and staff are encouraged to wear Nordonia gear. Each school will have its own pep rally focused on unity.
Friday, October 29: Halloween
- Each building will hold its own Halloween activities.