Transportation Information for the 2016-17 School Year
Help us find you: Please display your house numbers clearly on your mailbox and house. This helps the bus driver find stops much more efficiently. This is especially helpful with our kindergarten and younger students.
Bus schedules (stops): ALL BUS STOP information will be available at all of the district school buildings and here on the website. The final bus stop information will be available on the website on August 23rd, 2016. If you have an issue with your routing information, feel free to contact the bus garage via phone or email. It will also be available inside the school offices. Bus routes continue to be identified by LETTERS rather than numbers. These lists are sorted by your address in alphabetical order, and include the approximate a.m. pick up time and location, and p.m. drop off location. Pick up and drop off times may vary slightly for the first few weeks, and as a result of construction, as routes need a couple of weeks to become routine.
Bus stop changes: If you have a permanent change in your child’s pick up or drop off location, this will require a Bus Stop Request Form. Students are scheduled for one designated pick-up and one designated drop-off location. These locations must be the same five days per week for the semester. However, your pick-up and drop-off can be at different locations. Any changes from student pick-up or drop-off locations will require a Bus Stop Request Form. We will not be able to accept daily, weekly, and/or monthly changes. This form can be obtained at your student’s school or on the districts web site and will need to be completed and returned to your student’s school. Please allow two weeks for processing. Forms may also be faxed to transportation at 330-908-1789.
*Bus Stop Location Reviews: Please DO NOT USE THE “Bus Stop Request Form” if there is an issue or concern with your current bus stop location. Instead, send us a letter stating the students name, current bus stop location, the desired bus stop location and the reason why you would like the location reviewed. We will date them as they are received and review them on an individual basis. This may take several weeks to complete depending on the number of requests received. You will be notified of a decision once the review is complete. We appreciate your patience.
Emergency Situations: Emergency situations do come up, such as a parent is unable to be at home due to a traffic accident, health issue, etc., and, at the last moment, needs their child to go home to another location. In these emergency situations, the parent will need to complete the "Emergency One-Day Bus Pass Form" available on this webpage and submit it to your student’s building administrator for approval. The student must give the approved bus pass to the bus driver when boarding the bus. Students will not be permitted to ride a different bus or get off at a different stop location without a bus pass from the school.
Transportation services will continue to and from commercial daycare providers. These commercial daycare providers must be within two miles of the school.
BABY STEPS CHILDREN’S CENTER: Northfield and Lee Eaton
KINDERCARE WILL SERVICE: Ledgeview, Northfield and St.Barnabas
LEARN, LAUGH & LOVE TOO!: Northfield
YMCA WILL SERVICE: Ledgeview
STEPPING STONE WILL SERVICE: Northfield, Rushwood, LeeEaton and St.Barnabas
NPDC WILL SERVICE: Northfield, Rushwood and St.Barnabas
THE GODDARD SCHOOL WILL SERVICE: Ledgeview
Reminder: if your student is scheduled to be picked up and or dropped off at daycares, they must follow the route change procedures as stated above!!
Private School Transportation
Please follow the proper drop off procedure that the NHS has established to keep all of our students as safe as possible. This area is supervised by NHS staff and the buses do not load or unload in this zone.
All students are to be dropped off in front of the MAIN DOORS of NHS. The unloading/loading zone is clearly marked on the pavement with a large white striped box, in the center lane of travel, next to the bus lane. Do NOT pull along side, in front of or behind the shuttle buses to drop off students. Do NOT allow students to cross from the parking area in any location other than the unloading/loading zone marked on the pavement in front of the main doors.
Shuttle to: Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy
AM Shuttle Bus Route N will leave NHS at 7:15 a.m. to transport students to CVCA. (load in front of NHS northside after the crosswalk) PM Bus Route N leaves CVCA at 3:00 p.m.. Students will ride to NHS and transfer to assigned bus for PM drop off.
Shuttle to: Cuyahoga Valley Career Center (VOED)
AM Shuttle Bus Route P leaves NHS at 7:15 a.m. (load in front of NHS on the north side of the crosswalk). Buses will only be held past 7:15 a.m. by the General Manager if there are transfer students on a regular route that is running late to NHS. Students missing the transfer buses for any other reason will be responsible for finding other transportation to the Career Center. Once departed, buses will not be sent back to NHS. Mid-Day pick up of seniors at NHS is at 10:30 a.m. and they will arrive at CVCC at approximately 10:55 a.m. AM students needing bus transportation will be dismissed at 10:45 a.m., and the bus will depart at 11:05 a.m. arriving at NHS at approximately 11:25 a.m.
Mid-day shuttle bus is Bus Route P.
PM students needing bus transportation will be dismissed at 2:30 p.m. The CVCC shuttle Bus Route P will depart at 2:35 p.m. It will go directly to Nordonia High School and arrive at approximately 3:00 p.m. Students will ride to NHS and transfer to assigned bus for PM drop off.
Shuttle to: Walsh Jesuit
HS students will transfer to AM Shuttle Bus Route I. Bus I will depart for Walsh Jesuit at 7:15 a.m. The bus will only be held past 7:15 a.m. by the General Manager if there are transfer students on a regular route that is running late to NHS. Students missing the transfer buses for any other reason will be responsible for finding other transportation to Walsh Jesuit. Once departed, buses will not be sent back to NHS. PM students will ride Bus I to NHS and then transfer to assigned bus for PM drop off.
Shuttle to: Trinity High School
HS students will transfer to AM Shuttle Bus Q. Bus Q will depart for Trinity at 7:15 a.m. The bus will only be held past 7:15 a.m. by the General Manager if there are transfer students on a regular route that is running late to NHS. Students missing the transfer buses for any other reason will be responsible for finding other transportation to Trinity. Once departed, buses will not be sent back to NHS. PM students will ride Bus Q to Lee Eaton Elementary and then transfer to assigned bus for PM drop off.
Aurora Valley Christian Academy
* AM Bus Route B will pick-up at the following locations:
Rushwood (west side of building) – Bus departs at 7:28 a.m.
Lee Eaton (east side of building) – departs at 7:40 a.m.
Ledgeview (front of building) – bus departs at 7:49 a.m.
*PM Bus Route B leaves school at 3:05 p.m. and drops off at the following locations:
Ledgeview - approx. 3:20 p.m.
Lee Eaton (east side of building) - approx. 3:25 p.m.
Stepping Stone - approx. 3:37 p.m.
Nordonia Middle School ( lower parking lot) - approx. 3:35 p.m.
Nordonia High School ( front sidewalk) - approx. 3:50 p.m.
When Nordonia Hills City Schools are not in session, transportation will be provided for the above private schools from Nordonia High School. Students will need to provide their own transportation to and from Nordonia High School. * Aurora ValleyChristian Academy- will run as regularly scheduled.
ONLY STUDENTS WHO RESIDE WITHIN THE NORDONIA SCHOOL DISTRICT ARE PERMITTED TO RIDE NORDONIA SCHOOL BUSES.
If Nordonia School District has a snow day, district buses WILL NOT transport ANY students.
Safety Rules -- Riding the Bus
No student is permitted to stand while riding the bus. Since there may be up to 3 students to a seat, it is important to share space. Drivers are authorized to assign seats. Do not move from your seat unless instructed to do so by the bus driver.
• Arrive at your designated pick up location at least five (5) minutes before your scheduled pick up time. • Wait in a safe location off the roadway. Your bus driver will determine this location. (Designated place of safety) • Wait in a single file line and board the bus in an orderly manner, going immediately to your seat so that the bus is not delayed and others may board. • You must remain seated and facing forward at all times with the aisle clear while the bus is in motion.
• When arriving at your school, you must remain seated until the driver has instructed you to exit the bus. • When arriving home, you must stay seated in your seat until the bus arrives at your stop and has come to a complete stop. Do not walk up the aisle to the front of the bus while the bus is still moving. • After exiting the bus, you must go to your designated place of safety (to be determined by the bus driver). Do not stop for the mail, paper, trashcans, etc. You must stay in your designated place of safety until the bus has safely pulled away.
Crossing the Roadway
When it is necessary to cross the street to get on the bus, you must cross at least 10 feet away from the front of the bus. Always wait for the driver's hand signal to cross, as the driver is in a position to see traffic from both directions. Before entering the roadway, the student(s) should look in both directions to check for any traffic. Remember, if your driver sounds the horn that means “DANGER”. After you have boarded the bus, go immediately to your seat and remain seated.
If you are crossing to go home, when the driver gives the hand signal, you will cross to the traffic edge of the bus (center of the road). You must stop and check traffic in both directions on your own. The driver will watch for traffic as well. If the driver sounds the horn, this means “DANGER” and you need to look around you for the danger. If you do not see any danger, look back to the driver for further instructions.
After you have safely crossed the road you must go to your designated place of safety and wait there until the bus has safely pulled away. Again, do not stop for the mail, paper, trash cans, etc.
Conduct on the Bus
The school bus is an extension of the classroom and conduct should be similar.
- Profanity or obscene language will not be tolerated.
- Eating, drinking, lighting matches, smoking, spitting or littering on the bus floor with any material is not permitted. Windows may be opened with permission from your driver. Do not extend any part of your body or any other objects out of a bus window at any time. Close your windows as instructed by your driver. It is prohibited by law to throw any object from a motor vehicle.
- Any conduct that distracts the attention of the driver or that endangers lives is not permitted. Examples of this conduct are: throwing objects, wrestling, scuffling, fighting, grabbing clothing, books or other objects and passing them around the bus.
- No inflated balloons will be permitted on the school bus.
- No weapons or firearms are permitted on a school bus.
- No flammable gas or liquids are permitted on the school bus.
- No glass containers shall be transported on the school bus
- No animals except those needed for Special Needs assistance.
- All balls must be transported in an enclosed carrier and/or bag!
- Any items to be transported on the school bus must be able to be in the seat with the student.
- Absolute quiet must be observed while stopped at, and crossing, all railroad tracks.
- Continued or serious misconduct or refusal to obey a driver shall be sufficient reason for referring student to their school principal.
Parents of students doing damage to a school bus may be billed for repair costs.
The Nordonia Hills City Schools Transportation Department has been working diligently over the summer months to provide your students with the safest most reliable transportation services available. It will be our goal throughout the 2016 / 2017 school year to continue to improve on these services, but it will take a team effort. Please read and go over this information with your student. Have a safe and happy school year.